Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Box Logic

I really enjoyed reading this chapter and the idea of found art or box art to be very interesting. While I had heard of found art before, it made me recall the episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes an outsider artist (Season 10, Episode 19, titled "Mom and Pop Art" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701180/). I tried to embed a video, but couldn't find a good clip.

Activity one was the activity that I felt was the most interesting (and I'm actually planning to attempt it later today). The only thing I felt the chapter didn't address was the issue of copyright infringement to avoid students who take all of someone else's work, versus composing and compiling their own work.

The other reasons I enjoyed this chapter is that is challenges what we consider art. I found it particularly interesting in comparison to our class discussion about the made movement. When I began to consider compiling my 'art box,' I began to wonder how would I choose items out of my apartment but would I avoid items that still have value or use. Do we choose things that no longer have any purpose any more?

The Made Movement is all about what we can make from everyday items instead of purchasing new products. Found art is similar in that you aren't purchasing new items but secondhand items. It is interesting to think of these two things as opposing one another.

But I like that this chapter challenges our idea of art and the possibly that art is also composition and design. The idea that expression does not just mean the creation of art but also the composition of items to create art and emphasizes the "the physical details of the scene".

Another topic that the chapter brings forward is public discourse, and that "You have to be apart of the system in order to participate in a public discourse". I think that this type of activities forces students to practice a public discourse that can become helpful in discussions of other types of arts in and outside the classroom.

I have a lot of other things I want to discuss but am trying to save some things for the facilitation group this week. I am also considering doing Activity One to bring to class and discuss as part of the facilitation group.

No comments:

Post a Comment