Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Closing out the semester, revisiting past questions

At this point in the semester, it is important to look back and see how our opinions have evolved, transformed, and possibly fused with one another's outlooks. I find that my first blog post hasn't changed in all its answer or outlooks but that some need to be revised or elaborated on more fully. Here are a few of those revisions (without trying to write a lengthy novel about writing and teaching writing).

4. Close your eyes and take a few minutes to picture someone in the act of writing. Who are they? What do they look like? Where are they? What exactly are they doing? Describe the scene in as much detail as possible.

One of the things that has changed in my 'picturing' someone writing is that I no longer exclusively see words on paper or computer screen. Discussions about how writing is also designing and composing is now included in the imagery of seeing someone in the act of writing. I feel like it more has to do with the creation of something, rather than simple text and words on paper.

8. Is writing a private thing, a social thing, or both? In what ways?

My answer for this has not changed drastically. I still see writing as being both a private and social thing. I think we write for both social and private situations. I would like to add that they are very different in that the context and perspective of the writing changes when someone else is reading the text. When writing in a social situation, another dynamic is introduced that adds an element of the readers perspective, their context, and their filters to the meaning.

9. When people talk about "illiteracy,' what do you think they are talking about? Who is illiterate in this country? What are some of the primary causes of illiteracy? Is illiteracy a problem?

My answer to this question has to be changed. I based my previous answer of the assumption that people define illiteracy the way I define it (the inability to read the alphabet and written words). I defined it based on the lack of a skill. But it is apparent from the National Endowment for the Arts report that people view illiteracy as the lack of people who read for fun and enjoyment. I disagree with this 'definition' but it is apparent that people do not read 'high' literature as much as organization thinks we 'should.' This does not factor in the amount of reading done on a day to day basis or on the internet. I find that report to be misleading and find most of my friends read text online and in their daily lives but do not sit down and read The Great Gatsby, but that does indicate they cannot read or are illiterate.

No comments:

Post a Comment